Our current home gaming group has been playing together for several years now starting with in person play (pre-pandemic). We started with a game every other week of Castles & Crusades (Troll Lord Games – TLG) with Rapanathuk (Frog God Games – FGG) setting with a large party (8-10 ppl), and Logar was the DM. Then we added alternating Friday night and then a Wed. night game with other folks DM.
Below are the games that are currently in play with our group. Games are every other week, and most games are online with Discord. As we are playing online, we have expanded to include players located in other areas of the country. Our games are more OSR or older games.
- Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea (Since Nov.2019)
- Mutant Crawl Classics
- All Flesh Must Be Eaten
- Alternating Wed. – 1 shot module with new alternating game systems
Forthcoming 1 shots – Cairn (played), Troika (in progress), Cyber-Hack
2 games in development by group members
- Play by Post via Discord – Cthulhu Hack in progress
We have different DM/GM for our games, and DMs are players in other games and vice versa. This allows for different styles of refereeing and gaming. It also gives DMs a week off as prepping for game does take time on top of other things in daily life. Current games have anywhere from 4-8 players.
We have played alot of other games. Some campaigns longer than others with C&C Rapanathuk / Lost Lands as our second longest running campaign. (behind current ongoing Hyperborea). Alot of fantasy campaigns and adventures in previous so I’m pushing our group to play more different genres other than fantasy.
Previous games played –
- Castles and Crusades Aihrde
- Castles and Crusades White Box
- Blight Swords and Wizardry
- Rapanathuk / Lost Lands
- Call of Cthulhu Berlin
- Savage Worlds Rifts
- Old School Essentials: Dolmenwood
- Amazing Adventures 5E
- Heroes Unlimited
- Dungeon Crawl Classics
- Forbidden Lands
- Dark Places and Demigorgons – Holiday 1 shots
- Barbarians of Ruined Earth – 1 shot
- Mothership – 1 shot
- Munchkin (card game)
- Mansions of Madness (board game)
- Hero’s Quest (board game)
- I’m sure I’m missing some.
What’s worked well for our group?
- Know your players – what style of game do they like? what genres?
- Having a diversity of players and style of players.
- Have different players in different games. not everyone can join every game. having a bi-weekly game works well with most players who may have changing work schedules and other events. (though Logar and Light play in about every game)
- Online games vs. in person games enables new and more players.
- Our in person gaming group is different than our online gaming group.
- Set up a FB group or Discord channel or some place for your group to connect and build a community beyond gaming sessions.
- When starting a new game, over recruit players for your games. people will invariably drop off and you may have change in player lineups over the course of the campaign.
- Have different DM/GMs to mix things up.
- We don’t require players to purchase all the game systems. DM/GMs will usually purchase the game system books, and some get extra copies of players manuals for the table.
- Our players also have similar values in that we are anti-racist, anti-fascist, pro-worker, pro women, pro LGBTQ+, pro Trans, and such. Basic human rights are not up for debate. We don’t want to associate with hateful people and certainly don’t want to share a gaming table with them. Its not something we will compromise on.